You can roof over an existing single layer of shingles but it’s always better to tear off the old shingles, underlayment, and flashings and start from scratch.
Before you choose to roof over your existing shingles to save money there are a few things to consider.
- Has your roof been leaking? There’s a very good chance the waterproof material (underlayment) is leaking. If your roof is leaking you definitely should tear off the existing roof to ensure the underlayment is done correctly.
- What is the condition of your shingles? Are they curling or cracked? If they are not laying down flat it will be difficult for the new shingles to seal properly and hold against windy conditions. As a result, the roof’s life is reduced.
- Utah’s building code allows for two roofing layers on a single roof.
Starting from scratch allows us to:
- Inspect the roof deck and replace any damaged wood.
- Replace the underlayment, ensuring a longer roof life.
- Install the new roof so the shingles seal correctly, and the sealer strip will hold the shingles together in winds up to 110 miles per hour.
What feels like a lot of additional money will actually end up saving you money in the long run. R.B. & Sons Roofing/Construction is an experienced roofing company. We will guarantee your roof is installed correctly. Contact us for a free estimate, or visit our website www.rbsonsroofing.com for more information.